Club members and guests enjoy lunch at the Iron Grill in Sacramento after a Feb. 21 tour of the Leland Stanford Mansion. Margaret Kane, club president, organized a delightful and informative private guided tour of the mansion in downtown Sacramento.
Originally built in 1856 by Gold Rush merchant Sheldon Fogus, the mansion was later purchased and remodeled (twice) by Leland and Jane Stanford. Leland Stanford served as governor of California from 1862-1863. The mansion served as the office of three governors during the turbulent 1860s - Leland Stanford, Fredrick Low and Henry Haight.
After a 14-year, $22 million restoration and rehabilitation, the mansion, now a state historic park, is open to the public as a museum. It also serves the citizens of California as the state’s official reception center for leaders from around the world.